Ministerial Forum meets in KununurraWednesday, 18 April 2018
The Ministerial Forum on Northern Development is meeting in Kununurra, in the far north west of Western Australia today.
It is the second meeting of the forum and brings together Ministerial representatives from the Australian, Northern Territory, Queensland and Western Australian governments.
The forum provides leadership on the collaborative agenda to unlock northern Australia’s potential and build a stronger northern economy.
The Minister for Resources and Northern Australia, Matt Canavan, is chairing the forum. Other attendees are the:
- Australian Government Minister for Indigenous Affairs, Nigel Scullion
- Australian Government Assistant Minister to the Deputy Prime Minister, Keith Pitt
- Northern Territory Chief Minister and Minister for Northern Australia, Michael Gunner
- Northern Territory Minister for Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics, Nicole Manison
- Northern Territory Assistant Minister for Aboriginal Affairs, Selena Uibo
- Western Australia Minister for Regional Development, Alannah MacTiernan
- Queensland Minister for Communities and Minister for Disability Services and Seniors, Coralee O’Rourke.
The forum enables collaboration and engagement across northern jurisdictions and its Kununurra meeting is focussing on strategic economic infrastructure in the north and Indigenous business, innovation and growth. Other forum priorities include achieving diversified economic growth in the north, improving the region’s transport, logistics, energy and digital infrastructure, creating an environment where industries such as resources and gas; trade and investment; Indigenous business, innovation and growth thrive; and supporting innovative economic incentives, for example, in tourism, defence and tropical health.
The Indigenous Reference Group and the Northern Australian Advisory Council, which provides advice to the forum and the Minister for Resources and Northern Australia, held meetings in Kununurra yesterday. The Indigenous Reference Group will also meet the forum to provide advice today.
The first meeting of the Ministerial Forum on Northern Development was held in September 2017 in Darwin.
A Forum Communiqué will be published on this website at approximately 6.00pm AEST 18 April 2018.